Home / Blue Island Landmark Tour / Krueger Funeral Home

Krueger Funeral Home

13050 Greenwood Avenue (built 1927)

13050 Greenwood Avenue (built 1927)

In 1858, Christian Krueger Jr. founded the funeral establishment that is presently the oldest business in Blue Island, having recently celebrated their 150th anniversary.

The Krueger family is synonymous with early Blue Island, and Christian Krueger played an important role in the development of the community. He was a judge of the election held August 22, 1872, to form the village of Blue Island. Krueger served ten years as Village Trustee, from 1873-1883, and President of the Village Board from 1880-1883. He was also School Director for 15 years, Worth Township Supervisor for 2 years and Road Commissioner for 6 years.

Christian Krueger Jr. arrived in Blue Island in 1851 with his brother Ludwig. He opened a carpenter and cabinetry shop and became involved in funeral service when he was called upon to make wood coffins for local residents. Kreuger was also a prominent local contractor, who built Blue Island’s City Hall in 1891, which stands today across the street from the funeral home.

continue the tour –> 31. Wilson/Cooley House

Start of the Robert Seyfarth tour –> 09. Roy E. Geyer House

Photo Credits: Christine L. Hawley