George Luchtemeyer came to Blue Island in 1858. He first lived on the east side of Western Ave south of Grove Street, where he made his living repairing guns, watches and clocks for the early settlers of the community and the surrounding region. Later he purchased this property and the business developed into a jewelry store. The Luchtemeyer family carried on the business for nearly 130 years.
George Luchtemeyer served as Village President in 1874. His son Louis Luchtemeyer served Blue Island as Village Clerk from 1881-1886.
This handsome, graystone building reflects the popular residential styles of the day – this European-inspired design would not have been out of place on Chicago’s sophisticated Prairie Avenue – as much as it does the growing wealth and sophistication of Blue Island’s prominent German-born residents, as well as the high craftsmanship of its builders.
continue the tour –> 5. Joshua P. Young House
Photo Credits: Christine L. Hawley