Businesses and property owners located within the Western Avenue Business Development District (BDD) may apply for Blue Island’s Business Development Grant Program. This grant provides up to $5,000 as a 50% match for eligible exterior improvements, with an additional $2,000 for correcting non-conforming signage, and is intended to encourage architecturally appropriate design through historic preservation and the use of high-quality materials. Applicants must plan on investing a minimum of $1000 in material improvements to qualify.
The Business Development Grant Program provides funding for improvements to existing buildings for elevations visible from a public street or alley and site improvements needed to bring the property into conformity with building, zoning, sign and design guidelines. Expenses which may be included in the grant application:
- Façade repair and improvements
- Design and architecture expenses from an Illinois licensed professional
- Labor costs and contractor fees
- Cost of materials
- Exterior life safety and ADA compliance
- Non-conforming signs
- Off-street parking areas not in compliance with landscaping regulations and/or unpaved
- Site improvements such as outdoor dining areas, removing front parking, rear entrance enhancements, bike parking or Complete Streets
Project activities begun prior to the application and approval of a Grant Program Agreement are ineligible so be sure to ask first! Contact Sean Terry at email@example.com or (708) 396-7055 with any questions.