On Sept 29, 2008, Blue Island was awarded a FY2008 Round 2 – Preserve America Grant of $102,250 to develop a Comprehensive Cultural Heritage Marketing Strategy!! Visit our Preserve America Grant Project page or download the official Preserve America press release for more information.
Special thanks to the Community Development and Marketing Department staff and the Historic Preservation Commission who contributed their time and energy to completing the proposals for both the community designation and the grant project.
The Preserve America Initiative
The Preserve America program recognizes and designates communities that protect and celebrate their heritage, use their historic assets for economic development and community revitalization, and encourage people to experience and appreciate local historic resources through education and heritage tourism programs.
Benefits of Preserve America Community designation include:
- -White House recognition
- -eligibility to apply for Preserve America grants
- -a certificate of recognition
- -a Preserve America Community road sign
- -authorization to use the Preserve America logo on signs, flags, banners, and promotional materials
- -inclusion in national and regional press releases
- -official notification of designation to state tourism offices and visitors bureaus
- -enhanced community visibility and pride