The City of Blue Island is looking to hire qualified individuals for the position of Mechanic/Truck Driver. See the job posting below for more information…
Department: Public Works
Starting Salary: $21.57/hr.
Application Deadline: December 31, 2018
Employee Classification: Full-Time
Blue Island (population 23,706) is located just outside the City of Chicago’s corporate limits and forms part of the south suburban area. From a regional perspective, Blue Island is strategically positioned in the heart of the region’s transportation infrastructure. The City is home to an extensive network of freight and commuter railroads, waterways, Interstate highways, and is accessible from Midway International Airport and O’Hare International Airport. These attributes connect the City to the region and country, opening its door to unique economic and physical development opportunities. On a variety of fronts the City is making strides to better capitalize on these attributes.
Public Works Department
Diesel/Hydraulic Technician Mechanic Job Duties:
• Determines vehicle condition by conducting inspections and diagnostic tests; identifying worn and damaged parts.
• Keeps equipment available for use by completing preventive maintenance schedules; installing component and part upgrades; controlling corrosion; completing winterization procedures.
• Corrects vehicle deficiencies by removing, repairing, adjusting, overhauling, assembling, disassembling, and replacing major assemblies, sub-assemblies, components, parts, or systems,such as, power and drive trains, electrical, air conditioning, fuel, emission, brake, steering, hydraulics; completes machine shop operations; making adjustments and alignments including bearing loads, gear tooth contact, valve mechanisms, governors, oil systems, control linkages, clutches, and traction units.
• Verifies vehicle performance by conducting test drives; adjusting controls and systems.
• Complies with federal and state vehicle requirements by testing engine, safety, and combustion control standards.
• Maintains vehicle appearance by cleaning, washing, and painting.
• Maintains vehicle records by annotating services and repairs.
• Keeps shop equipment operating by following operating instructions; troubleshooting breakdowns; maintaining supplies; performing preventive maintenance; calling for repairs.
• Contains costs by using warranty; evaluating service and parts options.
• Keeps supplies ready by inventorying stock; placing orders; verifying receipt.
• Updates job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities; reading technical and regulation publications.
• Enhances maintenance department and organization reputation by accepting ownership for accomplishing new and different requests; exploring opportunities to add value to job accomplishments.
Graduation from an accredited high school or have a certified GED certificate.
Desirable knowledge, skills and abilities:
1. Thorough knowledge of the standards practices, methods, equipment and tools of the road construction and maintenance trade.
2. Working knowledge of the occupational hazards and safety precautions of the trade.
3. Ability to work long hours, weekends, and holidays as required in inclement weather.
4. Must be able to work outdoors in all environmental and weather conditions.
5. Experience as a Truck Driver or Equipment Operator, particularly on light to heavy trucks; or any equivalent combination of experience and training.
Necessary Special Requirements:
Valid Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) class A or B with air brake endorsement. (Must provide copy of license at time of interview)
ALL candidate offers of employment are contingent upon successful completion of a background AND drug screen.
The City of Blue Island is an Equal Opportunity Employer
To apply for this position Please drop off resume at City Hall, Clerk’s Office at 13051 Greenwood Ave or email resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org