The National Weather Service in Chicago has issued an Excessive Heat Watch, which is in effect from Saturday morning through Monday evening.
* TEMPERATURES: Afternoon highs will be in the mid to possibly upper 90s Saturday through Monday. Nighttime lows in the city will likely only be around 80 Saturday night and Sunday night.
* HEAT INDICES: Peak afternoon heat indices of 100 to 105 are forecast Saturday, Sunday and Monday. Only minimal relief from the heat is expected at night with heat indices likely to remain in the 90s through the evening and possibly into portions of the overnight hours.
* IMPACTS: The extended duration of heat, combined with nearly full sunshine, and oppressively warmth even at night will lead to potentially hazardous conditions, particularly for the elderly and those with pre-existing health conditions.
Precautions in Excessive Heat
With an Excessive Heat Warning this weekend, the City of Blue Island is urging all residents to stay safe. Hot temperatures and high humidity may combine to create a dangerous situation in which heat-related illnesses are possible. This weather can be very dangerous. We ask our residents to consider the following precautions:
• Drink 1 to 1-1/2 quarts of fluid daily to prevent dehydration. Water, fruit juices and juice drinks are the best choices. Avoid alcohol and caffeine because they dehydrate the body.
• Wear light-colored, lightweight clothing. If you must go outside during the hottest part of the day, wear a hat.
• Avoid overexertion and strenuous outdoor activities. While outdoors, rest frequently in a shady area.
• Never leave children, the elderly or pets in a parked car, not even for a few minutes. Brain damage or death can occur from the rapid rise of temperature inside the vehicle.
• Make a special effort to check on neighbors, especially if they are seniors, families with young children, people with special needs, or living alone.
• John D Rita Recreational Center, 2805 W 141st Street, Blue Island IL, Telephone: 708-597-8607
o Saturday 9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
• Blue Island Public Library, 2433 York Street, Blue Island IL. Telephone: 708-388-1078
o Saturday 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
• Salvation Army, 2900 Burr Oak Ave, Blue Island IL, Telephone: 708-332-0100
o Saturday 8:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.
o Sunday 8:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.